Free History Timelines
Why Use a History Timeline?
Whether you use traditional textbooks, living books, or online curriculum, a history timeline can significantly increase your children’s understanding of history. A history timeline will help your children see the chronological flow of history, make connections between events and people, observe patterns in history, and discover cause and effect relationships in historical events.
Adding historical figures and events to a history timeline, as your children study them, is also a fun way to keep a record of what they’ve learned over the years. The timeline can also help your children remember key events and people in history.
Fortunately, there are many free online resources you can use to create a history timeline. Below are some of my favorites.
This page contains affiliate links. See our complete disclosure here.
Free Printable History Timelines
Print one of these free timelines, hole punch, and place the pages in a binder to create your own history timeline book.
- Half-a-Hundred Acre Woods: Accordion Timeline Notebook
- Research Parent: History Timeline
- Simply Charlotte Mason: Basic Book of Centuries
- Meaningful Homeschool: Timeline Notebook Pages
- Raising a Self-Reliant Child: History Timeline
- PK1 Homeschool Fun: Timeline Templates
- Squarehead Teachers: Timeline Printables
- Highhill Education: Blank Timelines
- Bible Story Printables Biblical History Timeline
Free Printable Timeline Figures
If your children would like to add pictures to their timeline books, they can either draw their own or use these free printables.
- Homeschooling2e: Timeline Figures for All Time Periods
- Raising a Self Relient Child: Timeline Figures for The Story of The World
- Research Parent: Montessori-Inspired Timeline Cards
- Highhill Education: Timelines Figures for American History
- Highhill Education: Timeline Figures for Ancient China & Ancient Greece
Online History Timelines
These online history timelines can help your children learn more about historical events and find information to add to any of the above printable timelines.
- Soft Schools: History and Biography Timelines
- TimeMaps: Map-Based History Timelines
- Library of Congress: History Timelines
- Digital History: American History Timelines
- Fact Monster: History Timeline
Additional Free History Resources
History and Social Studies Curriculum – Free curriculum for history, social studies, geography, and government.
History Unit Studies and Lesson Plans – Numerous sources of free history unit studies and lesson plans.
Homeschool History With YouTube – Explore history with these YouTube channels.
History Websites for Homeschoolers – Learn about history with these informative websites.
Virtual Field Trips – Explore the world, including many historical sites and museums, through virtual field trips.
Note: This post was originally published on February 3, 2020 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
- Free September Unit Studies & Lessons
- Free October Unit Studies & Lessons
- Learn About September 11th With Videos
- Learn About the Reformation With Videos
- I Don't Have the Patience to Homeschool
- How I Taught My Child to Read
- Free Printable Planners
- Grade Level Reading Lists
- Learn About Birds With Free Resources
- Free Color Mixing Printables